Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Seriously, the Dollar Store? Yes.

The Dollar Store.

Normally, your first instinct is off brand food, cheap candy and other miscellaneous items that you probably will never need in your life but at such a low price point you feel compelled to spend at least $10 every trip.  Would you ever consider buying makeup there? I was always skeptical over this.  How can their makeup be good for your skin since it's so cheap?  Does it really last for a few hours, or does it fade within 10 minutes after application?  My mind was always tormented with the how's and why's until I decided to give it a shot.  I was in need of some new eye shadow and wasn't in a position to spend upwards of $30 just to restock on various colors of eyeshadow.  I spent a total of $8 (plus tax)  which covered an eyeshadow brush, blush brush, liquid eyeliner, and five compacts of eyeshadow.  I was very anxious to get started. 

I have to add that I have very sensitive skin and can not use most makeup brands on my face.  I have an allergy to a lot of makeup brands that claim to be hypo-allergenic or are meant for sensitive skin.  When I started using the dollar store brand of makeup, I kept my allergy medicine handy just in case I broke out into a rash or worse.  I am very pleased to announce that not only does the makeup last five to seven hours with out a touch up, also I had no adverse reaction to the makeup.  No rash, no itchy eyes, no hives - nada!  I couldn't believe it and part of me still can't believe it - to be honest.  I have been using it for almost a month now and still have had no issues whatsoever.  The liquid eyeliner goes on smooth, doesn't smudge and looks great.  The brush is thin enough to do a basic line around your eye, or add curved lines on the side of your face, or create the "cat eye" look. 

I have nothing against expensive brands but if you are ever in a lurch and can't afford to fork over another $40-$50 for department store makeup, take a trip to the dollar store.  You will be pleasantly surprised.  There is also a wide variety of eyeshadow colors, blushes and liners that you can mix and match to completely customize your look. 

My loot from the dollar store

My custom color eyeshadow.  This was taken about 5 hours after application.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stylish Plus Size Dresses & Separates