Sunday, December 2, 2012

Moving Mountains: A Tale on Acne

Creams, potions, solvents, and prayer all add to your stress when it comes to your face.  I know in my experience, I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find the cure-all when it comes to keeping your skin clean and healthy.  It is important to first find out what kind of skin you have.   Oily? Dry? Combination? Sensitive? Which umbrella are you standing under?  For most of us, we have about 10-15 products aimed at different issues going on with our face in our bathroom.  Some products are shrinking pores and some are trying to prevent Father Time from drawing another line on our face.  Let's face it, it's a war we're somewhat losing and you know what?  I'm okay with it. 

I'm nearing the end of my twenty's and my face is starting to reflect that.  I am not saying this to incur the, "No, you're still a wee babe!" compliments.  I am saying it because it is a fact.  My skin is changing, as is everyone's as we get older.  I have oily skin that hates most products, and is super sensitive to anything that claims to be all natural or organic.  There are certain brands that make me break out into hives or a nasty rash.  I have to be very careful in what I put on my face.  There are also products that are aimed at oily skin that I swear cause me to have more break outs.  I'm not sure how or why that happens?  These same products will cause my face to dry out to the point that I have to use lotion so my skin won't crack or bleed.  Yes, that has also happened to me before.  I am not going to list the products because why should they get a free plug? 

I used to be a long-term Noxema fan.  That face wash really does a great job for my oily skin but I found another product I like a lot more.  Something I still am having a hard time understanding how or why it works better than other products I have tried in the past.  Baby body wash.  Yes, the basic stuff you use on your kid's skin (if you have kids).  I recently ran out of my old stand-by, Noxema, and found myself in a bind.  Another brand I was recently trying caused my skin to break out into a rash around my mouth.  It looked as if I was trying to moonlight as Joker in a cover band.  It was a terrible experience, my skin was really dry, and it made me feel horrible.  I did write the company a letter about their product, and I do my best to warn others of it.  They also will not get a free plug on here. 

There I am in the shower cursing silently at myself because I forgot to buy my stand-by to clense my face with.  I figured I would use my son's stuff in the mean time because hey, it doesn't have anything in it that would cause harm and it's inexpensive.  I was so impressed with the results that I never bought that new container of facial cleanser.  The baby wash doesn't dry my skin out and it cleans the dirt and excess oil while helping to control the oil balance in my face.  It also knocked that rash off my face in about 4 days total.  It would probably be less if I washed my face twice a day. 

Here you go for all skin types, no joke!  I use Target's brand of baby wash but for you label whores, you can buy Johnson & Johnson's brand. 

How often to wash:  Twice a day; It doesn't have to be strictly morning and night but give your face at least 8 hours of getting dirty time before you wash again.  That mid-day wash is totally unnecessary and actually works against you if it is your third time at the sink.
What to use:   Mild soap (baby wash), warm water and your spirit.  I'm not a fan of putting oatmeal or any other food product on my face, and I don't advocate it to others.  Skip the food facial and enjoy a yummy bowl of oatmeal (or order a pizza, you know, whatever makes you happy). 
Will it remove makeup:   Sadly, it won't remove your mascara or any left over eyeshadow.  You will still need a good makeup remover for that. 
Acne problems:   This process will help improve blemishes.  For anything that is persistent, you should talk to your doctor.  Some issues can be better helped with their professional input and suggestions. 
Ages:   Everyone.  Seriously, all ages.  I know women in their 50s, 60s, 70s, and above who do this simple regime and have fantastic skin. 
Will it make you look younger:   The only thing that will make anyone look younger is a time machine.  Sorry. 


Love yourself and your skin - stay beautiful! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stylish Plus Size Dresses & Separates