Monday, October 8, 2012

Eyeshadow - From Caked to Cupcake

Sitting at your vanity, calmly applying the face you want to wear with the perfect light highlighting your visage  - Does this really happen to anyone?  My usual makeup routine is sandwiched between the other million things I have to do before I'm out the door.  That goes for any time of day too, even if I'm going out for the evening.  I specifically want to mention eyeshadow.  I absolutely love eyeshadow and using various colors to create a new shade or new look to compliment my outfit.  I'm a true artist and use my face as yet another pallet.  Does this mean everyone should have animal print eyelids?  No.

First things first, remember your audience.  What does that mean?  Is it a wise idea to cake on the makeup, go heavy on the lids for an important meeting or meeting new clients? No, not at all.  For most, if not all, work settings, it is truly best to stay as natural as possible, when it comes to your eyes.  Save the bright blues and coppers for a night out on the town.  A simple soft shade,  liner and great mascara go a long way versus trying to "express yourself."   Even if your boss is more lax and encourages you to express yourself; still play it safe.  You never know who you will encounter and what new connections / networking can be made. 

What about that night out?  Again, know your audience.  Are you going on that first date?  Play with colors but stick to something low key that enhances your natural beauty.  I don't think he or she would appreciate dating a Monet painting - they should be getting to know you.  What if you've been married for what feels like forever?  Break out your colors and play around until you find a combination you love.  Spice things up, have fun - be someone different that night.  Just remember that too much really is too much and caked on isn't cute.  I call it the "Cupcake" alternative.  It is just enough without being too much. 

Also, don't break the bank in search of the best eyeshadow.  The prices vary from very inexpensive to very expensive, and now there are brands that claim to last longer than 5+ hours on your face without issue.  I don't recommend wearing the same makeup longer than 10 hours.  Your skin needs to breathe - but that is another topic altogether.  Do make sure you test products out to find out what works best on your skin.  I haven't found that expensive brands work better than inexpensive ones, so don't feel the need to splurge (unless you want to).  Don't be afraid to try new colors either!  Mix, match and be fabulous!  The same rules apply to the brushes.  I find my cheap brushes do their job well and clean very easily so I don't waste endless q-tips (I call them Q-Tip$) in the process. 

Take a risk, beauty, don't always be on your guard.  Life is too short to go along with the crowd. 

Stay beautiful!  xox


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stylish Plus Size Dresses & Separates