Sunday, July 14, 2013

Hell of a Weekend

What a weekend. 

With all the emotions being thrown around, words being expressed and biases formed, broken and reborn, I think we need to keep something in perspective.  Love.  I'm not talking about candy, hearts and flowers - I'm talking about love where out of suffering we move on together, out of respect, we move forward and tolerance, we can find a way to live together to find peace

This kind of love finds forgiveness in a dark place called humanity.  The spectrum of light, colors and emotions -  we feel everything, even if we don't want to.  The pain I felt last night and still do, and I probably will carry some for the rest of my life because I know plenty of people who fit the description, profile, complexion of being in the "wrong" part of town at the "wrong" time.  Whatever the fuck that even means. 

Growing up religion has taught me to turn the other cheek, that these insults, and trauma are caused by individuals who are hurting from their own demons but sometimes you have to wonder if it's really the devil or their own ego?  Now that I'm an adult and have a growing and continuing understanding that there is more to life than what fills the pages of any one book.  There is a lot of truth and power to maintaining the spirit, both human and otherwise, moving forward, forgiveness, and hope and pray that something finally sparks and people will let go of the anger and hurt in their own hearts.  Life is more than the color of skin, the neighborhood in which we live and the building we walk into once a week to absolve ourselves of our transgressions. 

My spirit is low and my heart breaks for what is going to come from this situation.  I remain optimistic that good will rise to the top and there is a greater hope for the future.  Anything is truly possible. 

I ask you to just remember the small things; the pleases and thank-yous, holding doors, remembering to smile - all the small things we take for granted or can't be bothered to perform.  Don't let this just pass us by and have it turn into passing meaningless chatter. 

Let us be more.

Let this mean more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stylish Plus Size Dresses & Separates